Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The journey to Athens

Comment ca va?
I got on time to Paris but my flight to Athens way delayed due to the air traffic control strike. For some days now I have seen on television the people expressing their anger and discontent with the government but this morning I got to see them at the airport, marching and making lots of noise. When the plane landed at the airport I saw a Concorde fuselage displayed in the middle of the landing strips. 
The Charles de Gaulle airport is so big and high-tech and the people that work at the airport are very friendly, including their security personnel.  The temperature was 10 degrees C.

When my flight took off to Athens I could clearly see the fields and the beautiful combination of the autumn colors. Then I took a nap almost involuntarily as I was very tired.
When I woke up again I was amazed by the view of the mountains and then it changed to the Greek island scenery. When the plane landed in Greece it started raining and the temperature was 26 degrees C.

During the connection time in Paris I met a few couples from LA that were also traveling to Greece for the marathon, some of them have injuries in their knees and they are going to run anyway. They think I should just run, I told them I think they should not run...Then I met a lady from Brasil, she is here for the same reason and she was telling me of her plans for next year, she is going to South Africa! She also has an injured knee-cap. I took the local bus to travel to the city, it only costs 3.20 euros, the taxi was about 35euros. The Metro would have been a better option but they are on strike! Once in the city I shared a taxi with the Brazilian lady and got to my hotel, the taxi driver charged us too much money(20e) but he looked descent and gave us a tour as he was driving, so he earned it. So I learned that tomorrow is the biggest national day for the Greeks Ohi (means No) Day that commemorates the Battle of Greece during the second WWII. Read more here
Now is time to take a shower, get something to eat and work on my Greek!

αντίο

No comments:

Post a Comment